Friday, January 13, 2006

This took a while to write...

What a great first week for the Spring '06 semester. It went by much faster than I expected it to, which toadally r0x0rz. I have a much better line-up of classes this semester, classes that I will actually enjoy and that will be meaningful toward my career aspirations. I've finally made it to my computer architecture class, the class I have been wanting to take since I started my ECET major. My classes this semester are as follows:

ECET 325 - Computer Architecture, I'll get to study discrete math, programming algorithms, and learn about computer architecture.

ECET 359 - PC application class, I'll get to write a series of programs in Visual Basic to control external hardware via USB. It will keep me busy, but should be fun.

ECET 307 - Calculus and waveforms. I'm scared. We'll see how it goes.

POL 141 - Governments of the world, I'm not a political science kinda guy, but of all the available courses I was able to take for my elective, this seemed like the most beneficial course. Its going to be hard staying awake in class though :(

Its amazing how much I have changed since the beginning of last semester. I remember how arrogant and cocky I was. I remember what God put me through and I have learned to not be that way anymore. I feel so much better with my approach to studies this semester :)

My Christmas break was a great time, as always. Being with my sweetheart Rachel made it extra special this year. The break started out meeting up with Rachel at IUPUI. I got to check out her work/office and meet some of her co-workers. They all seemed really nice. Shortly after, we picked up my sister Megan and went over to Nothing But Noodles to grab a bite to eat. Our bite to eat there included a ginormous head of cotton candy about the size of a watermellon! It tasted like sour apple, and we ate it all :). After eating there, we left for Greenwood and got some coffee cake baking supplies. The next morning, we got started on the coffee cakes. I was the designated apple peeler. I peel apples with an attitude. I peel apples with passion. I peel apples with a smile. I peel apples with....ok I'll stop now. We made like 16 coffee cakes total (say what!? you say?). Yea we made a lot and it took a long time. Rachel has a lot of middle school girls that she leads, so she wanted to give each of their familes a coffee cake. After we made the cakes, we delivered to each of the girls homes...well kinda. It took a lot longer go to each of the girls houses. I think we successfully delievered three cakes and we went to a total of 7 houses. People just weren't home and it got late very quickly. We eventually ventured back to the house to wrap presents. Rachel taught me the fine art of rapping...err wrapping. The next day, we went to Church and then I went home.

I got to know state road 37, 45, and 57 very very well during break.

I came home for the first week of break and hung out with my parents. We caught up on things and talked about stuff. I did some stuff around the house and picked up a couple of last minute things for Christmas. I also creatively wrapped Rachel's presents :). Not much else went on during the first week of break, expect for getting a lot of sleep. On Christmas Eve Eve, I drove back up to Greenwood and went shooting with Rachel's dad. Shooting at targets with hand guns, such a great way to bond =P. Later that evening, I got to hang out with Rachel's extended family at her Aunt Liz's house. She has a big and very nice family. I had met most of them before hand, but there were a few new faces. Great time!

On Christmas Eve, Rachel and I just took it easy for most of the day. We went to church that evening with her parents, brother, and her brother's girlfriend. When we got back, it was present time! I got pots and 4lbs of gummy worms! Rachel and I just got each other very simple, inexpensive gifts since we are going to be taking dance lessons throughout this semester.

On Christmas Day, we got up early and headed down to Evansville to spend time with my extended family. My grandma's house is the traditional place to have Christmas every year, so its always fun. We had a great meal, had great desert, exchanged gifts, and then chatted about stuff. We then headed back to my parents house for our own gift exchange. I got more pots! After the gift exchange, we all watched Big Fish--an excellent movie that I highly recommend--and called it a night. What a great Christmas it was. The best gift I received this Christmas was Rachel :D.

We returned to Greenwood the following morning and I spent a couple of days there getting random things done while Rachel was at work. I then returned back to Evansville and planned on seeing Rachel again during New Years. Unfortunately, I didn't get to be with her during New Years. She bumped her head at work and got a moderate concussion. I'm just so thankful nothing worse happened to her--I was really scared for a while!

During the last week of break I got to have a great time with some of my friends that I rarely see. We through a LAN party at Jason's house. We played Farcry, Warcraft III, and some Serious Sam 2. It was a lot of fun and the entire time I was there, I kept realizing that it was probably going to the be the last LAN party I have with those guys for a long time or ever.

The rest of break I just took it easy at home, sorted and through away about 60lbs of stuff, and got some reading in. Rachel got me Wild at Heart by John Elderedge. It is excellent. This book is helping me become a better man of God. It also is assisting in preparing my heart for when I become a husband and eventually a father myself.

I stopped by Greenwood again on my way back up to Purdue and hung out with Rachel and her family some more. Her mom had a birthday party at Cheeseburger in Paradise which was a really cool restaurant. I think she had a great birthday :).

That was pretty much my break. I hope ya'lls break was great too!

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Josh said...

I was academically...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home